|Our Health Care attorneys bring years of hands-on industry experience and broad historical perspective to bear on business issues of health care providers and health carriers from formation and operation to regulatory compliance to business transactions. We assist our clients in achieving their objectives by combining our knowledge of health care business issues with our legal expertise to provide governance, operational, and transactional advice to a wide range of hospitals, health care providers, health carriers and a trade association in such essential areas as finance; federal, state and local regulatory matters; HIPAA compliance; antitrust/restraint of trade issues; employment, labor and disciplinary matters; taxation including nonprofit and tax exempt organization issues; mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures; equipment and real estate leasing; and legislative issues.|| |
Chair: Barbara Allan Shickich
Riddell Williams' Health Care practice provides the following services:
- Health Care Providers: We counsel hospitals, clinics, continuing care retirement communities, home health, hospice, and other health care providers on matters including formation and organization; tax issues related to their structure; HIPAA compliance; fraud and abuse; employment contracts; labor relations; antitrust issues, mergers and acquisitions; and staff privilege issues. We also help health care businesses plan, construct, and finance new facilities and remodel existing facilities, including certificate of need compliance.
- Health Carriers: We assist health care service contractors, health insurers, HMOs and other managed care entities on such specific subjects as alliances, mergers and acquisitions, HIPAA compliance and state insurance regulation.
- Individual Practitioners: We advise physicians, dentists and other health care providers on forming professional service entities, establishing ambulatory surgery centers, real estate investments, and retirement plans. We also provide advice on joining or leaving other practitioners, practice agreements with hospitals, office sharing agreements, sale of professional practices, staff privilege issues, state licensure and disciplinary matters.
- HIPAA Business Associates: We assist companies involved in data analytics, medical devices, and other products and services with their HIPAA compliance and other issues related to the HITECH Act.
- Legislation: Our attorneys have drafted and amended legislation and regulations concerning the full spectrum of health care law including health care finance, managed care, liability reform, peer review protections, practitioner scope of practice, insurance code and confidentiality of medical records.
- Medicare and Medicaid Issues: We assist health care providers with Medicare reimbursement, Medicaid litigation, and agency investigations and negotiations.
The following specific examples are representative of the hundreds of projects and matters our health care attorneys have handled in recent years:
- Represented a group of physicians in separating from their existing practice, establishing a new practice, and entering into a joint venture with another practice using unique LLC structures
- Formed and obtained tax exempt status for two organizations addressing the issues of health work force shortages
- Participated in project for initial development of HIPAA privacy and security compliance manual (2003-2005), and updated complete manual after passage of the HITECH Act (2009)
- Represented a hospital in negotiating complex purchased services agreement with federal contractor
- Successfully obtained certificate of need determination of non-reviewability for unusual structure of physician practice ambulatory surgery center
- Represented imaging services joint ventures in negotiating purchased services agreements
- Represented a hospital in successfully responding to alleged EMTALA violations
- Each legislative session, as general counsel to the Washington State Hospital Association, we draft legislation, review numerous bills, and draft amendments to protect the interests of hospitals
Our health care clients include the Washington State Hospital Association, Washington Dental Service, Northwest Kidney Centers, Group Health Permanente, Northwest Health Care Alliance, and numerous HIPAA business associates.