Ryan J. Straus
F 206.389.1708 email@example.com@riddellwilliams.com
expand all categories +
- Quoted in "The Anti-Mafia Law Used to Go After JPMorgan," Christopher Matthews, Time, January 8, 2014
- Panelist, "Inside Bitcoins," December 10, 2013 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Quoted in "Bitcoin in China: The Fall-out from Chinese Government Banning Real World Use," Kashmir Hill, Forbes, December 6, 2013.
- Panelist, "Compliance and Security for Emerging Payment Systems," November 21, 2013 (San Francisco, CA)
- Quoted in "Bitcoin Companies and Entrepreneurs Can't Get Bank Accounts," Kashmir Hill, Forbes, November 15, 2013
- Quoted in "Five Reasons For Bitcoin's Most Recent Price Surge," Kashmir Hill, Forbes, October 23, 2013
- Quoted in "Large Percentage of Bitcoins Used for Illicit Purchases: Study," Colby Adams, ACAMS.org, September 24, 2013
- Quoted in "The Rise (and Rise) of Bitcoin," Stuart Hoegner, Canadian Gaming Lawyer, September 2013
- Quoted in "Winklevoss Bitcoin Fund Highlights Regulatory Questions," Zachary Warmbrodt, Politico Pro, July 3, 2013.
- Quoted in "So You Want To Get Into Digital Currency?," Digital Transactions, July 2013.
- Contribution to "Understanding Bitcoin, Virtual Currencies and the Legal Landscape," E-Finance & Payments Law Policy, July 2013.
- Quoted in "Weekly Wrap," American Banker, June 7, 2013.
- Quoted in "$6 Billion Liberty Reserve Money Laundering Case Ratchets Up Regulatory Pressure On Digital Currencies," Brian Kindle, ACFCS.org, June 5, 2013.
- "The Last Straw for Bitcoin," Ryan Straus, American Banker, June 5, 2013.
- Quoted in "Liberty Reserve Indictment Rocks Digital Currency World," E-Finance & Payments Law Policy, June 2013.
- Q&A, Bloomberg Brief: Financial Regulation, May 31, 2013.
- Quoted in "Bitcoin Draws More Regulatory Scrutiny," Jullian Hattem, The Hill, May 29, 2013.
- Quoted in "Regulators Ask: What is Bitcoin?," Tom Geller, Communications of the ACM, May 28, 2013.
- Quoted in "Regulatory Compliance a High-Stakes 'Must' for Bitcoin Businesses," Carrie Kirby, Coindesk.com, May 18, 2013.
- Panelist, "Issues of Regulatory Compliance," Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments, May 18, 2013
- "The FinCEN Virtual Currency Guidance: Neutering Bitcoin?" E-Finance & Payments Law & Policy international, April 2013
As an attorney with a background in both technology and financial services, Ryan assists clients with payment matters, including electronic payments, mobile payments, prepaid cards, alternative currencies, and federal and state licensing. He has also been interviewed by and written for many national publications, including American Banker, Bloomberg Brief: Financial Regulation, Communications of the ACM, the Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists, and The Hill.
Ryan is co-Chair of the Payments practice group, and a member of the Corporate Finance and Securities practice group. He assists banks with operational compliance issues, corporate governance, and regulatory matters.
Ryan represents national retailers, new media companies, authors, publishers, and musicians.
Education and Admissions
Ryan received his B.A. from the University of Washington, Business Administration, and Information Systems. He received his J.D. from Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College, magna cum laude.
Ryan is admitted to practice in Washington.
Professional and Community Activities
Ryan is a member of the Board of Directors for the Puget Sound Chapter of the Risk Management Association, and is a graduate of Leadership Tomorrow, Class of 2010.
Awards and Recognition
Ryan has been designated a Washington Rising Star®.